Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Great Raymond Furniture Reclamation


So here's the story behind this Clampett-esque truckload of old wood: My dad, his brother and two sisters own a rental house in Raymond that they inherited from their father. Behind the house is a storage shed where my grandfather stored anything he could find (he was a keeper-of-all-things, so I'm told). Thank goodness for that, in this case. There were all kinds of awesome pieces that could be reclaimed into coffee tables, bookshelves, tables, etc. I struck a deal with my dad to give the family 10% of profits earned on anything made from the Raymond wood. We hauled our load back and unloaded it into the driveway.


After sitting in a shed for ~40 years, this stuff was pretty nasty so I spent the rest of the day washing off all the dirt, cobwebs and general grime. Wetting the wood also gives me a general sense of what it will look like after polyurethane or another water sealer is applied. Water sealers always tend to richen and brighten the wood, so this lets me know if staining is needed or not. All of this wood is beautiful and I'm excited to start thinking about ways to give them a new lease on life. All in all I came away with:

2 fireplace mantles,

7 doors, 6 windows, some pieces of siding, a huge heart-pine beam, 2 heart pine columns, 20 balusters, and a few random pieces of wood.

Email me if you're interested in any of these pieces. Otherwise, I'm just gonna start building things on my own and put them up for sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment